Thursday, March 10, 2011

My first pad.






















And when I say pad, I must highlight it is not the technology in your hand, or something you write on, or that other kind, but the kind that you live in, play in, dance in, sometimes cook in. You know?

I moved in on Monday and it was quite the trip down from Sydney. I actually really enjoyed it, Dad was with me and we chatted a lot, really did bond and get to know each other more. Which I always think is odd but makes sense, since he has been there since my birth yet you still get to know someone, even your father. He has been so amazing and generous and supportive and I am thankful to have him.

Mardi Gras was very interesting, as I was volunteering. I walked up and down the lanes between the floats while they waited to march, and observed a hell of a lot. But it was simply great to see, for one night, so much love and smiles in the crowd and audience and marchers. And to be a part of helping it. I returned home after a fun evening and read a friend's facebook and how he wrote out against the Mardi Gras and Sydney for being so immoral for supporting it. It got me upset, as it is so backwards and hurtful, especially as it goes against the Christian message that I grew up in. Another friend of mine wrote this in response and CCd me:

Hi Luke,

I saw your note on Mardi Gra. I believe you did that to inform those who do not know that what they might be doing is not okay in the eyes of God. It was brave for you to do this as I suspect you anticipated a negative response from at least some of your friends.

Having thought what you wrote; the entire scenario reminds me of 'Jesus and the woman taken in adultery'. A group of righteous people got together to condemn a person who they believed to be leading an immoral lifestyle. Jesus famously tells the righteous that the person without sin can cast the first stone.

My point is, the next time someone tries to tell Lucy Bates that Christians are loving, accepting people; do you think she will be more or less likely to listen as a result of your post?

I have only seen the public responses on Facebook. Based on these, nothing constructive has come of your post. Like-minded believers have patted you on the back while non-Christians are clearly agitated.

Have you received any feedback to indicate you have brought someone closer to God or even challenged someone to review their beliefs? I suspect not, but please tell me if I am wrong.

What were you hoping to achieve from the note you wrote? Why did you decide to post it?

If God has put this message on your heart, then I encourage you to meet people and form relationships and share what you believe God wants for their life.

I have included Lloyd because a) I know him, b) I think he would like to be included on this discussion and c) he is probably the most 'enlightened' of either side of this argument.

Apart from that I hope both of you are well and enjoying life in whatever you are doing these days.

Regards,

Rick.


To which I replied:

"Hey Rick

Interesting read and I totally see where you are coming from.

Lucy said what she did, because she herself grew up in the same church we did, but has gone on her own journey and is always so angry and hurt by the church and conservative words telling people what they can and cannot do, because of how damaged it made her. Hence why her reaction.

I believe Luke has a beautiful heart and Luke, you have come far in the past few years, especially in the way you have respected me and my own path. I know, especially as you live in Paddington, would have seen a lot more of the night as those in Engadine, and I do agree that there is quite a lot of sexual images pushed out there. And it is debatable if that is relevant or not to the original purpose of the parade. To gain the right like anyone else, to love and be free in a country such as ours.

I do agree Rick, that the Church has to stop with this putting fingers in their ears and shouting out condemnation. Did Jesus ever do this? No. AND the church is not Jesus, far from it. A human organisation, interpreting the scriptures, not just based on what they feel God is leading them to, but built up from a cultural background in 21st Century Australia, and the Western World. Where society views heavily influence what is OK and what is not, and interpretations of 2000 year old words can be looked at as a minority group in a society that does not understand things such as homosexuality. And they feel they are a majority because of it.

The same God made homosexuals, the same God has a path for everyone, including them. He loves them and sees them for who they are. I am so so tired and exhausted of having this sort of discussion because noone will ever know the true answer. But love is above everything, why point at each other and play the I am right, you are wrong game. People do not just DO things for the fun of it, or CHOOSE their path. It is there, and they have no choice when it comes to things like this. IF anything, the choice to not be themselves is forced on them and that is the unnatural thing, and this is where pain, hurt, self hate and depression come in. I have known those to commit suicide because of it. And one main reason, the church tells these people God "loves them but not the sin" ie, does anyone actually realise what that sounds like. That every process in their body is a sin, that everytime they have that desire in them, and for a guy, a lot of the time, is dirty and disgusting. And they never chose that desire. Which is actually a chemical in the brain, yet the Church tells them it is wrong, so one climbs to a roof, looks at the ground below and feels the wind on his face and knows that in a short space of time, this pain will go away, even though he is scared of the possible consequences and on top of the fact, he wont be alive anymore. OR the girl who looks on as the train comes closer, the cold steel of the train tracks, her last cold touch, like those at church, before she no longer has to feel alone, to just feel silence.

That sounds mighty depressing yes, but 1000's die, and its this ignorance and constant attitude that is causing this. And I know personally what it is like, to be at the crossroad, do I continue to lie and love a God who hates me, or do I be honest and accept I have to give up that faith I had. Cause I was told I had no other option. And it would have been so easy to end it all, but I believe I stayed so I can keep being an example that it IS ok. And everytime a Christian pulls a rope in the opposite direction, it simply breaks my heart. Cause each rope could be around a lost and broken person, and the death of them."





It may be a different blog to normal, but it is close to home for me, and I really needed to get it off my chest since it has been a while. It breaks my heart everytime they push it back to a place where we were 20 years ago. Or even 40.

As I sit here in my new place, still no job but got a gut feeling something good is happening soon. Gee I sound like a puffin with a high sense of how much my colourful beak rocks. Intelligent puffin I am.

3 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, does it matter what other people think... especially people who do not matter to you?
    Your friends give you advice the best they can... you end up giving advice to your friends or people who want to listen... sorta catch 22...
    But you are doing a wikid job off of it :)

    You have a great blog and it is a great read - thank you for that! & hope you enjoy Melbourne & get more out of it than I am at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Loves you. You don't need to find your way back (this is only my opinion) to a religious institution.... to a group of people fuelled by rational argument, logic, legalism and black or white attitudes. You need a power encounter with reality of God's love ,mercy ,grace and glory (things that humans can hardly dispense)... a supernatural moment where the Holy Spirit cuts right to the very core of your soul. I pray for a Divine appointment in your life mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ran across your blog this morning and had tears in my eyes when I read this post. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete