Saturday, January 14, 2012

Cheeky Monkeys

Sitting here with a David Attenborough doco on, it is about cheeky monkeys. They are cracking nuts with big stones and I am finding it hilarious when the nut bounces off the wrong way into the shrubs and the monkeys run after the nut shrieking. Dunno why but that scenario is making me chuckle. Actually I do know why. Cause it is funny. Funny that. Huh.


I have started work, helping out a company who produce the merchandise for the Australian Open for a few weeks. It is really interesting to come into an office community and observe the dynamics. The people who are there to build their career, the people who work and live for the weekend and those who have been there too long.

And for someone like me who is just there for a brief period, it is really up to me if I want to invest with people. It is great noticing the ways different people have responded to me. The really nice thing is how friendly and relaxed the atmosphere is, with everyone being so welcoming. I reckon if I just got up and danced down the walkway I would have people join me. They so better not read this otherwise there may be some pressure. You know, to dance. And to dance up to the high quality standard I am known for.


I may have gone to see the Vengaboys a few nights ago. Remember the late 1990's band that rocked the world with their Eurotrash Pop? With such intelligent lyrics like "We like to party, we like, we like to party" and "My hearts goes sha la la la la". Well I was way to curious as to them touring and also the fact the venue was a pub down the road from me. A group of us went and we had no idea what to expect.

As we stepped inside, there was a sea of 18 year olds. 18 year olds?? They were probably about 6 when they were popular. But they were there, and screaming loudly. Cal and I were not drinking either as we are so smartly doing Dry January (no alcohol for the month) so Coca Cola was our sponsor. 90's music was pumping via a DJ while everyone waited, it is what they called the support act. Pretty sure the DJ just pressed play on a CD. Or if he was technical, through an iPod.

Lights flashed on and off (the pub seemed to have an amazing lighting system, featuring an "on" and "off" switch. The red curtains open and there stood our Vengaboys. Complete with tacky outfits, they all looked a bit weathered but up for fun. They began singing (slightly lip syncing) their songs, all five of them. In between songs they spoke in their Dutch accent about how excited they were to be Down Under. Whether they were attempting to be dirty was lost in translation.

The Encore began when they walked on then off the stage and then suggested to play a White Stripes track. They then stopped and declared they never would, as they represent Sleezy, Cheesey, Trashy Euro Pop, and proceeded to sing their hits again. Hey at least they didn't pretend to be something they were not. I may have danced slightly also. So thanks Vengaboys for providing high school flash backs where I can finally feel free to sing out "Boom boom boom boom, I want you in my room.".



I have seen so many movies over the past few weeks. And there is a photo booth out the front of the cinema. It sucked Cal and I into it and we totally reenacted Amelie.



I really respect Sia. She is an Aussie music artist who has done so many organic and yet strategic moves, where she balances Pop and reality. She has worked with some of the biggest artists and still reflects how original she is. From the classic "Breathe Me" that was featured as the final song on the final season of the best show on TV "Six Feet Under" to writing a song and singing it for a David Guetta track (even though I cringe at him). This track below just grooves with me. Even if it is Flo Rider.

1 comment:

  1. I helped build the Australian Open iPad App. :) and the idea of the folks at TA being easy going certainly rings true. The seem to be a nice bunch of folks.

    You weren't disappointed that the Venga Boys weren't the same ones?

    Amelie is a gorgeous film. Have you seen the new one buy the same guy? Micmacs I thing it's called.

    I've on,y arrived at Sia in recent times and was amazed to see how ingrained I the industry she is. Not only all the featurings she does, but writing for the likes of Xtina. Wow. But I can't stand Titanium, well I like it, right up to the point I'd sounds like the music has been thrown in reverse and it's trying to rip the sounds out of your hear instead of putting them in.

    Sia has copped a lot of crap in Twitter of late for her pairing with FloRida apparently that's the essence of selling out.

    ReplyDelete